Social/Contact

May 3, 2012

Memorable meals from Seoul

To say I ate well during my Korea trip would be an understatement. I gorged pretty heavily on delectable Korean fare everyday, partly because I was required to be in a perpetual state of fullness by my family, specifically my 92-year-old, 4'11'' grandmother. From hearty stews to elaborate seafood spreads and tasty desserts to even a few Western specialties, I sampled an array of the most delicious culinary treats the country had to offer.  Man, my mouth is salivating just reminiscing about all the meals I enjoyed.


A display of banchan (Korean side dishes) at a roadside seafood restaurant on the coast.  An unexpected favorite: the marinated sea snails (bottom left). 


The best galbi tang (short rib stew) I've ever tasted. The broth was light but extremely flavorful and the short ribs, which you can dip in that mustard, sesame oil sauce, practically melted in my mouth.  My dad's mul naengmyeon (buckwheat noodles in cold beef broth) was equally good. 


A quality, juicy cheeseburger at Brooklyn in Seorae Village. The fries and coleslaw were incredible.


The burnt marshmallow milkshake was also pretty stinkin' delicious.


>>


3 am grub for 3,000 won (about $3). 


I was extremely fortunate to stay at my aunt's place during my trip, mostly because she's an amazing cook. This was an everyday meal she would whip up in 20 minutes.  I couldn't get enough of her year-long pickled garlic in the back. It pairs extremely well with sliced, pan-fried pork belly (bottom left), which you can wrap up together in a piece of lettuce with some rice and a small spread of gochujang. Two words: FLAVOR BOMB.



An assortment of kimbap/maki and dukboki (rice cakes), spicy carbonara style. 


New favorite ice cream: green tea cookies and cream. Too bad it's pretty much nonexistent here in the states. In the back are chocolate waffles and chocolate ice cream. I did not hold back. 


Sweet and sour pork and vegetable jampong in Apgujeong with my new friend Eun.


Strawberry bingsu (shaved ice).  Adorable presentation you'll only find in Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment